Okay funny story time. Galaktoboureko is a name of an exquisite Greek dessert made with layers of golden brown crispy phyllo, sprinkled with melted butter, filled with the most creamy custard and bathed in scented syrup. This is one of Eva’s favourite dishes – she can’t make it to save her life but Zoe does know how to cook.
That’s not the funny part. A few weeks ago I was listening to talk back radio and the radio announcer was asking how would he pronounce the word Galaktoboureko. He came up with a way to remember it: GALACTIC BOOTY CALL – I laughed my head off!
Here’s a recipe for GALACTIC BOOTY CALL or Galaktoboureko from the upcoming novel “Mabel of the Anzacs”
- 450 grams of phyllo
- 150 grams of sugar
- 6 eggs
- 150 grams of semolina
- 1 liter of milk
- the juice of half a lemon
- 2 vanilla beans
- 1 pinch of salt
- 150 grams of sugar
- 125 ml water
- 2 spoons of lemon juice
1. Heat milk in a saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles form around the edge of the saucepan. Remove from heat.
2. Using an electric beater, beat eggs and sugar until pale and thick. Gradually stir in milk then add semolina in a steady stream.
3. Stir constantly, over a medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in lemon rind, vanilla and 40g butter. Stir until butter has melted. Cover surface with baking paper. Cool.
4. Preheat oven to 200°c. Lightly grease a 20cm round cake pan. Melt remaining butter in a small saucepan. Place a sheet of filo onto a flat surface. Brush with butter. Repeat 3 times. Line prepared baking pan with filo stack, leaving ends to overhang. Repeat layering with remaining 4 sheets of filo. Place second filo stack into cake pan, across the first layer. Spoon cold custard into filo shell. Fold overhanging filo over custard. Brush with butter.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Turn onto lined tray and remove cake pan. Bake for a further 15 minutes until golden. Cool. Serve drizzled with lemon syrup and thick yoghurt or cream.
6. To make syrup, place sugar, 3/4 cup water, 1/3 cup lemon juice and lemon rind in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 mins. Cut into wedges to serve.
Tip: as a delicious alternative, the lemon can be replaced with orange.
note: vanilla extract is different to vanilla essence
You can pre-order my book “Mabel of the Anzacs” from the following stores
- Barnes & Noble